Previous Page

Thread: bicycles and fitness

Created on: Jan 05, 2018 @ 10:43 AM
Replies: 1
bicycles and fitness
Jan 05, 2018 @ 10:43 AM
hugh
Rank #1

I retired 10 years ago [2007] from CNR. Left at 55 and decided 55 was too early for me to stop working. So I picked up a couple part time jobs, the last and most recent was with the Federal Government in an office at the Via Rail Union Station on Main street in Winnipeg where i worked for 8 years, it turned out to be more full than part time but it was very enjoyable. Anyway I live in Transcona and the train station is about 7 miles from home. So I decided to bicycle to work in the warmer weather. I was unsure about how well it would work, the job was an office type job and being all sweaty when i arrived wasn't something to look forward to. So I bought an electric assist bicycle. For those who dont know what that is, it's a regular 2 wheeled bicycle with an electric motor, in this case mounted inside the rear wheel with a lithium battery mounted on the downtube. You still pedal the bike and it has 4 levels of assist, going from a 30% boost to your pedalling to a 300% boost or no boost if you want. So at first a high level of assist was used, that allowed me to ride at or near the legal allowed speed of 32 kph with not a lot of effort. It was great fun passing younger riders who were all decked out in cycling clothes while I was sitting upright and just wearing my normal, jeans, jacket etc. As time wore on my fitness level increased allowing lower levels of assist. Wind became no barrier, hills were nothing, although here in Winnipeg the only hills are the overpasses but it was a great cardio workout.
Now that i am completly retired i have 2 electric assist bicycles, one is a "fat tire" bike and the other is a recumbent 3 wheeled bike. 1 friend has purchased a built E bike and a 2nd friend with some health issues has allowed me to add a system to his bike. In summer it is super easy to go for rides of 30 to 40 km's and a great form of exercise.
* Last updated by: hugh on 1/5/2018 @ 10:46 AM *

Link | Top | Bottom

RE: bicycles and fitness
Feb 04, 2018 @ 10:52 PM
CNPAHEALTHCARECOMMITTEE
Rank #10

Congratulations on your effort and sharing this good news story. I will assume that you now feel better and will allow you to keep your health even longer. Good luck

Link | Top | Bottom

New Topic Reply
Next Page

Previous Page
Fast Reply
Please login to post a response.