Previous Page

Thread: In home care for spouse

Created on: May 09, 2018 @ 10:46 AM
Replies: 4
In home care for spouse
May 09, 2018 @ 10:46 AM
PeterNice
Rank #1

As of January this year, I have hired in-home caregivers (PAB in Quebec) for my wife.
They were for assistance in reminding her to take her medications, food, in walking and to prevent or be there should an accident occur.
When I contacted Blue Cross, they told me I was not covered for critical care nursing in-home.
This is not critical care nursing, more of an orderly function.
I called them today to ask what information and form I needed to submit a claim and was again told I was not covered but when I go through the Mediavie or CN Pensioners/Healthcare it says that my policy and option "D" is covered.
If anyone has experienced the same, please let me know how you worked through it.

Link | Top | Bottom

RE: In home care for spouse
May 09, 2018 @ 1:44 PM
CNPAHEALTHCARECOMMITTEE
Rank #10

The plan states... “Charges of a registered nurse at the patient’s home, to a maximum reimbursement of $3,000 per person per calendar year...”

so unless the care provider is a Register Nurse it will not be covered and Blue Cross was correct. Whether your in D or C, makes no difference on what is eligibleunder this section, other than lower deductibles .

If you want the claim form, it is on this website, under health care, at the bottom of the page..
http://www.cnpensioners.org/healthcare.cfm?hc=a

Link | Top | Bottom

May 09, 2018 @ 1:47 PM
CNPAHEALTHCARECOMMITTEE
Rank #10

The plan states... “Charges of a registered nurse at the patient’s home, to a maximum reimbursement of $3,000 per person per calendar year...”

so unless the care provider is a Register Nurse it will not be covered and Blue Cross was correct. Whether your in D or C, makes no difference on what is eligibleunder this section, other than lower deductibles .

If you want the claim form, it is on this website, under health care, at the bottom of the page.. says Blue Cross National Claim Form.. you can also submit electronically by registering at the MBC website

Your Health Care Committee

Link | Top | Bottom

May 11, 2018 @ 11:30 AM
PeterNice
Rank #1

From that same page,

Attendant care or care in an establishment
This section explains the special rules that apply to amounts you can claim for attendant care expenses.
You can claim amounts you or your spouse or common-law partner paid for attendant care or care in any of the following places:
•self-contained domestic establishments; <<< our home???
AND
Which attendant care expenses can you claim as medical expenses?
You can claim attendant care expenses as medical expenses that include your share of the salaries and wages paid to all employees performing the following duties:
•food preparation;
•housekeeping services for a resident's personal living space;
•laundry services for a resident's personal items;
•health care (registered nurse, practical nurse, certified health care aide, personal support worker); <<< not restricted to RN

The "employees" I hired were other then RN but this doesn't exclude them.

Link | Top | Bottom

May 12, 2018 @ 11:43 PM
CNPAHEALTHCARECOMMITTEE
Rank #10

Peter - If you believe you have a claim and you are fulfilling the provisions of the plan in your opinion, and you have hired someone who is an appropriate and qualified health care attendant, then please use the claim form and submit the claim with the supporting invoices and receipts of payment. If it is accepted then great, if not please contact your health care committee representative in Quebec and a review can be undertaken.

Link | Top | Bottom

New Topic Reply
Next Page

Previous Page
Fast Reply
Please login to post a response.