Previous Page

Thread: Last day at work.

Created on: Feb 25, 2017 @ 03:36 PM
Replies: 3
Last day at work.
Feb 25, 2017 @ 3:36 PM
Wendell
Rank #1

Hello everyone I have a question for all you retirees. I retired with 38 years of service to this company. The day I retired not one person from any management position thanked me for my service, congratulated me on my retirement or shook my hand to say good by and good luck, no one not a soul saw me off.

This has been bothering me since I've left the company. I still feel embarrassed and humiliated that this was how I spent my last day at CN. when I told my wife what happened when I arrived home she cried at being so callously treated after putting most of your life into something you loved and felt proud of doing.

My question then is did anyone else experience anything like this when you retired?

Thanks

Link | Top | Bottom

RE: Last day at work.
Mar 02, 2017 @ 6:29 PM
GaryMitton
Rank #10

Firstly, congratulations on you well earned retirement. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

I left CN in December 1999 after twenty five years service. I received the bridge pension for 5 years then full pension. I was very happy that I did not have to endure the “sincere” good bye – don’t let the door hit you on the way out!! Then as now, they were just happy to see you leave, they can hire two for the price of one leaving.

Enjoy your retirement and don’t look back.

Link | Top | Bottom

Mar 06, 2017 @ 10:52 PM
davidsimpson
Rank #1

Hi Wendell,
Unfortunately, this experience has happened to many CN Pensioners in the past. I also retired with close to forty years of service with CN. The day I retired not one person from any management position thanked me for my service, congratulated me on my retirement or shook my hand to say good bye and good luck. No one saw me off. I had keys to almost every building in the area as well as engine keys, caboose keys pad lock keys and after over one year just threw them into the garbage one day. I bumped into my supervisor after eight months at the mall and gave him my CN credit card.
I had always been paid for my work and really did not give a shit about not being presented with a rail spike or pen set! As you well said, my wife and family was more upset than me that the company would ignore us at this time of our life’s. However, we must remember that the CN Management was in turmoil during these years. Many supervisors were fighting for their jobs.
My pension cheque has always been on time, with the correct amount and with a cost of living increase each year. I am proud to be a member of one of the best run Pension plans in Canada. CN works closely with our CN Pensioners National Council and I encourage all New CN Pensioners to join and become active in your local association. Remember that this Association runs your Blue Cross Plan on the behalf of CN Pensioners and we need interested members to keep it running. We also have six CN Pensioners from across Canada sitting in the CN Pension Committee meetings being listened to, taking part in discussions and making recommendations. The CN Pensioners Scholarship plan has become very popular with our pensioners kids and grandkids
To be ignored on your retirement day by a supervisor not knowing his responsibility is small apples compared to your retirement years with a reliable pension income! Look ahead, not back!

Link | Top | Bottom

May 09, 2017 @ 12:01 PM
DUFFER
Rank #1

In 1997 after 29 years of service, I took a disability retirement because I had run out of sick benefits and was still unable to work. My pension was about 1/3 of what it would have been if I had been able to hang in for another 6 years but I was treated fairly and believe that the company gave me a bit more than I thought I was owed.
No, I did not receive even a phone call from my management and after my locker was cleaned out, it took over a month for my stuff to reach me but so what. I had always received an "honest wage for an honest days work".
For a long time, I was P.O'd that I never got that damn Golden Spike but years later while coming back from the west coast, our train blew an engine and we had to pull off on a siding near Edson. Wanting some fresh air after a few hours, I opened the top half of one of the exit doors and leaned out and to my utter amazement saw a new unused spike on the ballast directly below me. I later mentioned its significance to me to the passengers I was having a drinking with and to my great surprise, a bit later the Steward handed me the spike with a ribbon and bow on it. The company finally gave me my retirement spike.
Enjoy your retirement, we never know how long it will last !!

Link | Top | Bottom

New Topic Reply
Next Page

Previous Page
Fast Reply
Please login to post a response.